Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Park Road: To change or not to change?




A Dilworthian since 1979, David Mills, has proposed that the name of our street Park Road, from the turnaround at Tremont to Latta Park, be changed to Latta Park Lane.

This has created some controversy among some of the residents on Park Road that have lived here on Park Road for many years and do not agree to a name change.

Below I have posted Mr. Mills emails to us and our response. I invite all comments on our comment page on our site dilworthnow.com or you may join our blog and post your comments there.

We look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Yours Truly

Dilworth Now News

My first email was in response to a flyer Mr. Mills left on all the porches on Park Rd from Latta Park to Tremont, the strip of Park Road where he wants to change the name to Latta Park Lane.

On Apr 23, 2013, at 7:28 PM
Sent from my iPhone
Linda George wrote:

I would never agree to change the name of Park Road here in Dilworth. The whole idea of a historical neighborhood is to preserve the history and integrity of the area, changing street names is a bad idea. Most of us have lived on Park Road as long as we can remember and the way it winds around is confusing enough for folks to find without changing the name.

The vision you have for the new name is creative but not something most of us would want to do as we have always lived on Park Road as long as we have lived in Dilworth.


From: David Mills
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:12 AM
To: Linda George
Re: Park Road

Dear Linda, Thanks for replying. I don't want to start an argument but I would like to continue the discussion.

I've lived here since 1979 and support historical preservation. But the street itself has changed, as if all of an animal evolved except the very beginning. The differences are so stark. Time has stolen Park Rd from us. And it's not like the name change is something unrelated to our history, like Piccadilly or Green St. The new name is in fact more historic.

You are right that Park Rd is confusing. My proposal would quickly end confusion for the 1600, 1700, 1800 and 1900 blocks.

I am 62 and don't like change much. But this I believe is a reaching back to what was and honoring it AND acknowledging the present realities of "Park Rd". I want to live in Dilworth, want to live in this house where we raised our children. But I think , well by now you know what I think. Always and neighborly yours, David

On Apr 25, 2013, at 8:15 AM
Linda George wrote:
Thank you for your response but as I said I would never agree to the change. I have a website dilworthnow.com and a blog on the homepage dilworthnownews. Would you agree to allow me to post our emails on the blog? I steer away from controversy on the site but I think this would be an unbiased conversation for readers and give our neighbors a chance to voice an opinion. You are welcome to write all your thoughts on the matter and post them on the blog if you wish. Please let me know.
Regards, Linda George


From: David Mills
Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:38 AM
Re: Park Road
Good morning. I think the blog is a fine idea. Thanks for including me.
Neighbor Dave

PS how do you feel about the bus?
Would you like to keep it on our street or see it moved to say Kenilworth and Scott as some propose?

From: David Mills
Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 10:07 AM,
So to further our discussion, I was listening to Mike Collins this morning. The phrase "sense of place" was prominent. Park Road of all streets in Dilworth has NO sense of place. Pick any other address and it can be identified as in Dilworth. Where the hell is 1817 Park Rd.? Please reconsider. I will mow your yard.

From: Linda George
Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 10:41 AM
You're funny. I appreciate you. But no, no, no.


Let your voice be heard! Post a comment below by clicking comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment